Summer Greetings to our loyal Empty Bowls supporters and volunteers!
Following a very successful 14th Annual fundraising event in January, things changed dramatically. The sudden onset of the coronavirus and the CDC guidelines for social distancing and staying at home brought our EBN painting activities to a halt. All Public and Private Painting activities have been cancelled until further notice. Despite the uncertainties we continue to face we are continuing to move forward in hopes of holding our 15th Annual Event in January 2021. We would like to share what we’ve been doing.
- Empty Bowls Naples received over $6,000 in donations on Giving Tuesday. 100% of the donations we received went towards funding the Empty Bowls Naples Inc. Grant Program. Thank you for your support!
- Empty Bowls Naples awarded grants totaling $157,500 to nine local organizations fighting to end hunger in Collier and Lee counties. We restricted applicants to organizations that do direct distribution of food through food banks and food pantries in Collier and Lee counties. The 2020 grant recipients are:
- Community Cooperative Inc.
- Meals of Hope
- Midwest Foodbank
- Naples Senior Center
- New Hope Ministries
- Our Daily Bread Food Pantry
- Matthew’s House
- Vincent DePaul Society Naples District Council
- The Shelter for Abused Women and Children
- To connect with our loyal supporters and volunteers during the pandemic we instituted “Take Home Painting Kits”. The response has been an overwhelming win-win situation for all! Our supporters and volunteers can paint while staying at home and their finished bowls added to our inventory for the 2021 Annual event. Many of you have commented what a stress relief painting bowls has been during quarantine. The Take Home Kits contain bowls, glazes, palettes, and brushes (if needed). If interested in obtaining a kit email us at email@example.com . We’ll send you a confirmation when your kit is ready for pick up.
- A recent ray of sunshine – the Community Foundation of Collier County awarded Empty Bowls Naples a $1,500 Capacity Grant for the Take Home Painting Kits Program. This will help cover the increased expense of preparing individual kits.
- We are looking into innovative ways to bring volunteers together in a safe environment. One thing this pandemic has taught us all is through technology can be together virtually when we can’t physically be together. Virtual painting parties and smaller group gatherings of 10-15 friends may be the wave of the future.
- We are posting instructional/information videos on our Facebook page. Our filming may be amateur, but the expertise our resident artist Judi Nicholson shares will help you perfect your bowl painting skill. If you have any topics you would Judi to address please forward them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It would be wonderful to have a crystal ball to look into and see the future and where COVID-19 is taking us, but alas it doesn’t exist, so we are moving forward with the hope that we will be holding our 15th Annual Event in Cambier Park on Saturday, January 23, 2021. We have applied for the required city permits, though we are not sure what the new parameters and guidelines entail. In these difficult times, the need for the services provided by Empty Bowls Naples is at an all-time high.
We will be reaching out to our generous sponsors, Friends of Empty Bowls, and soup donors and if necessary, adjust our event to the existing situation. Please consider becoming a 2021 Sponsor or Friend of Empty Bowls Naples. We miss you and look forward to a time when we can be together again. Above all, stay well and be safe.
~The Empty Bowls Naples Board of Directors
Thank you for helping Empty Bowls fight hunger ONE BOWL at a time!
One Bowl at a Time
The "Empty Bowls Project" is an international grassroots effort to raise both money and awareness in the fight to end hunger. The mission is to create positive and lasting change through the arts, education, and projects that build community. The basic premise is simple:
+ Potters, educators, students, and volunteers work with the community to create handcrafted bowls.
+ Local restaurants donate soup and bread to serve.
+ Guests are invited to a simple meal of soup and bread served at Cambier Park each year.
Empty Bowls Naples is an annual fundraiser started by a group of volunteers under the leadership of Donna Torrance and her Barron Collier High School students in an effort to help fight hunger in their community.
The event benefits local organizations that provide food to those in need and allows us to offer grants to organization directly fighting hunger.
Join The Fight Against Hunger...
Help stop hunger in our community today,
one bowl at a time... Donate Now!